Thursday, January 03, 2008

Hector Dachelet


My great uncle passed away on New Year's Eve...on the day of his 100th birthday. He had a good life, and I tried to see him as often as I could (he lived in Wisconsin, so I only saw him when I went up for Green Bay Packer games), even though he really didn't remember me as much as the years went by.

I have a special place in my heart for Hector. He was my grandmother's brother (on my father's side), and he was the last of his four siblings that was still alive. I had always wanted to have my grandparents see their great-grandchildren, but, sadly, they all passed away before we had kids. However, I did have the chance to bring my kids up to see Hector a few years ago, and he thought they were his grandchildren...and it really made me proud...and feel warm inside. He was very happy to see them...and the whole feeling of the importance of sharing family just hit home.

Hector, we love you and we will miss you!

No comments: