Tuesday, January 10, 2006

An honorable, if dangerous, profession...

I pass this newspaper vendor each day on my way to work. He has no real personality that I've noticed, but then again, I'm zooming by at 45mph, so it's hard to notice.

He replaced another guy who worked the same spot last year and was struck and killed by a car when he was crossing back over to the side of the road to get additional papers. He used to wave to cars on each side of the road...he genuinely loved being out there, working hard, each morning. I mean, I never bought one newspaper from the guy, but I was always tempted to turn around and just give the guy $5 because he was always going to be the one positive/happy person I could look forward to seeing at the start of each work day, and I appreciated that. I'd wave to him on my way in, and when he saw me, he'd wave back as well. "I don't know who you are...but hey, have a great day!"

So now we've had this new guy out here since the accident, and he has no personality. It's hard to, I guess, given what the job entails, and the danger of all the cars...but even so, these vendors deserve our respect and consideration. It's a dangerous, low-paying job, and they do it each day, rain or shine. Tip 'em well, and drive carefully!

No comments: