Wednesday, September 14, 2005

It's all worthwhile

Since my father is in SCCU (Surgical Coronary Care Unit) for a day or so immediately after his surgery, they do not allow visitors to stay in the room with him.

So many people told me that staying overnight in the waiting room was pointless. Visiting hours were every two hours or so for 15 minutes, starting at 9am until 9pm, and the nurses said they would not allow me back during the night. "I don't care, I'm staying," I told them. "If he wants to see me if he's awake later or if you need to get me, I'll be right outside."

I settled in for the night, pulling the sets of chairs together, taking 2 Advil and getting comfortable as best I could. People came in every hour or so to go outside to the hospital's best replica of Alcatraz's rec-yard (photos later)...an outside smoking area...which was annoying, but couldn't be stopped. I got probably 4-5 hours of sleep.

Around 5:50am, a nurse came and got me, saying that my father was awake and wanted to see me. There's no better way to start your day. :) I'm glad I didn't listen to the nurses and go home.

My father looks good, as best as he can under the conditions. I think he's going to recover well.

3 hours to go until my shift ends...phew!

No comments: