Sunday, September 04, 2005

Trading one rat for another

So, here I sit at Chuck E. Cheese's, spending the time with the kids running around having a good time....I'd rather be at Disney.

As I sit here, I listen to reports that the death toll from Katrina is going to be in the thousands. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said he is estimating somewhere from 5% to 20% of the people that didn't make it out of town or reach a shelter...approximately 60,000 fall into that category...are likely dead. That means 3,000 to 12,000 died, based on those guesstimates.

In the meantime, I went to a friend's house last night for dinner, down in Homestead, which was ravaged by Hurricane Andrew in 1992. They live about 25 miles south of me, and were not impacted by Katrina, except for some downed trees. Know what a gallon of regular gas costs there? $3.55. By my house, it's $2.93. Why is there a 62 cent price difference? Each place is off an expressway, and each has no limitations on getting to it (i.e. No road debris, etc.). Why? This is nuts. There is definately gouging going on.

Awhile back...earlier this year...I heard a news report which said that $3.75 per gallon was the point at which our economy would suffer major set-backs. Looks like we're just about there.

And now we have thousands dead from a hurricane, mostly due to lack of recovery planning from all government agencies (local, state and federal).

Happy Labor Day. :(

No comments: